... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Sunday, August 28, 2011

Everything that I know about living a good life, I learned in the kitchen

At first glance, aren't we all just ordinary people?  Although in everyone's lifetime there seem to be fleeting moments when we become extraordinary.  Yet, what do we do?  We long to be ordinary again.

The truth is that we all have a story.  I want to know yours... but if you're like me, you don't open up easily and you'll want to know what I'm made of.  Let me set you at ease... grab a kitchen stool from over there and sit with me while I cook.

I'm a Puerto Rican mother of two, who is a business woman by day and a philosopher by night.  I don't limit myself to any set definitions because I am a fusion of many passions and interests, which are also reflected in my cooking styles.  These experiences have come together to make me realize, at 36 years, most of what I know that adds value toward living a good life, I learned in the kitchen.

Some 30 years ago, my grandmother "Mamita" and my mom, Margie, molded my pride in my culture through cooking.  We were poor, but I didn't know it.  These ladies did not have the opportunity or funds to pursue a hobby or a cause as a means of self-expression.  What they had was their family, and their kitchen.

For many generations now, the kitchen has been our canvas. This is where the women of my family went to create masterpieces that tantalized the senses.  The kitchen is where we talked, cried, laughed and where the voices of the many women who precede me have become immortalized by whispering their secrets to me in my times of soul-searching.

And now it's your turn dear reader, because now you're in our kitchen and now you will be part of our secrets.














No comments:

Post a Comment