... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Monday, January 9, 2012

The Best Quickies of Your Life

Did you know that you can have the best "quickies" of your life in your own kitchen?

At ease, Soldiers!  This is a family show!

What I mean is that too often we gravitate toward fast food when we're hungry, when in reality you have the best of everything in your own kitchen.  That's right, you heard me...

I have your typical Latina figure, and I like it that way.  Never had I been so conscious of eating healthful foods, until I became a mother.   I'm more concerned with what we put into our bodies.  I've proven to my kids that the healthier and more natural high-nutrient foods we eat, the better we feel.


All life comes from organic material.  I said that to my daughter once and she thought I was referring to that "special aisle" in the supermarket.  No.  What I mean by organic is the basic elements of life-  the chemistry behind the foods that we eat.  If it was once alive, such as fruits, vegetables, starches, lentils, or meats then it is made of of organic components that your body will transform into nutrients and fuel.  

On the contrary, anything that is processed or comes out of a bag, in most cases will not benefit you nutritionally, but it can actually harm us if consumed in excess.  Our bodies were not meant to break down and store these components- regardless if they are edible or not.

To further my point, many of the medicines that we consume for ailments come from organic materials such as herbs, fruits, plants, fish oil... etc.   I rather eat healthier any day than have to take pills for something.  With the food, I am aware of what I'm putting into my body.  With a pill, I don't know what other synthetic materials are in it, and what the side effects will be.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I will take, and give my kids medicines as needed and prescribed by a doctor.  Absolutely.  As a matter of fact, I have a child who has been through a series of very critical surgeries and I always find that good nutrition significantly helped her recovery process. What I'm saying is that over the course of our life time I rather eat healthful foods consistently to help us feel vigorous and vibrant.

I will also have fast food and junk food from time to time, and enjoy the heck out of it too.  Everything in moderation.  I just keep in mind that I have little eyes watching my every move and mimicking my behaviors.  At home, I try to set a good example.    I'm not saying that it's easy.  I come home from work, picking up my daughter, and running errands exhausted.  The thought of helping with HW and cooking a good meal makes me cringe just like the next Mom, or Dad who comes home in the same boat. 

You already know that I keep marinated meat frozen in vacuum sealer bags that I prepare on the weekends.  I found that the trick for me is to always keep fresh or frozen fruits and veggies on hand. For me, the part that I find the most stressful about cooking is figuring out what sides to cook with a meal.  If the meat is all set and prepared, all I have to do is leave it to thaw out in the morning.   

Once I come home, I look at my fruits and veggies and let them inspire my theme!  I definitely am in the habit of incorporating fruit in a meal.  What a lovely symphony of flavors is made when I cook fish that was marinated in lime and garlic and top that off with sauteed mango and cilantro for freshness and a tangy island flavor.    Don't underestimate the power of fresh fruit in your dishes! 

I always keep fresh greens on hand too.   The organic sections of the supermarkets sell "Spring Mix"  I love this!  I'm especially partial to the variety that has cilantro.  It blends in with the greens so you don't see it, but you will definitely taste the zest although it's very subtle.   

So there you have it.  In minutes, just by looking around what you already have in your kitchen, and while your meat is cooking in the skillet you can prepare a salad, some vegetables, a quick bowl of rice or some whole-grain pasta.  Just like that!

In the same amount of time it takes you to get through drive-thru in rush hour, you can make your family a beautiful and vibrant meal rich with the nutrients that they need to feel great.  I recommend getting kids involved in the preparation process.  For one, you deserve the help.  Two, it's beneficial for them to learn about nutrients and health.  My kids sometimes teach me things about nutrition that they learn in school that I wasn't aware of. And third, it's a great way to bond with your kids. 

<Angry Teenager Disclaimer>  Not all kids will be receptive to the idea.  To some, it's easier to introduce it as part of their chores, such as peeling potatoes and chopping up veggies.  As parents, sometimes we have to feign disinterest and even make them think we don't really want them there.  A few quiet moments and all of a sudden your teen is telling you about how unfair it is that Jennifer gets to color red streaks in her hair and she doesn't but that it doesn't really matter because Justin broke up with her because he thought it called too much attention to her... "Justin, Mom, Justin!  How could you not remember him?  He was over at Alexis' birthday party at the skating rink two years ago!  You know the tall boy with the really cute smile?  Mom!"    


And all of a sudden red highlights and a story about a cute boy named Justin fuses with the sound of her chopping some onions for you...

<Angry Teenager Disclaimer- Part 2>

If your teen suddenly breaks out in tears please check that she is okay, but please do not assume that she got cut with the knife.  It could be the onions.  Or...most likely the hormones could be raging and a flashback of Becky, The Boyfriend Stealer may have hit

All in all, it's a great time to spend with your family, in your own home.  A quick meal can be magnificent too.  Here's one that I let my daughter come up with on a night that we came home exhausted and were running low on groceries.  It was right after we had just moved into our new home.  Great meal, great memories!


Quickie Garden Pasta

Easiest healthy meal to make!  Cut up some fresh broccoli after rinsing thoroughly.  Add in grape tomatoes sliced in half, mushroom, onions and your favorite variety of peppers.  Add in a table spoon of crushed garlic, one packet of Sazon and just a dash of sea salt (to drain the moisture out of the veggies).  Don't add in too much sea salt because the Sazon is already salted, and the garlic flavor is strong enough.



Throw the veggies in a heated skillet or pan, add in a large can of crushed tomato sauce and a sprinkle of oregano.  Add in about  1/4 cup of wine of your choosing.  Saute but do not let the veggies get too soggy.  They should retain some crunch and texture.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of your favorite pasta to a boil until aldente.

After draining the pasta, mix your veggies and sauce in thoroughly.  Add in your favorite types of cheeses (in moderation).  I love fresh Parmesan or Asiago.  You can also add shrimp, chicken or fish to this recipe.  It's especially great if you have them left over...

And there you have it!  That was so easy, it's delicious, quick, healthful and I had lots of fun preparing this with my little girl. 

So next time you're tempted to order out, go for a quickie in the kitchen instead...

Muy buen provecho! 








No comments:

Post a Comment