... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Wednesday, January 23, 2013

That Constant Craving...

My version of Ceviche.. or Salpicon...
You know what I'm talking about.  I know you do.  That constant craving that overtakes your thoughts from time to time.  As a matter of fact, it never quite comes at the right time.  It can even be painfully distracting.  You want what you want.  Period.

I won't lie.  It happens to me.  All the time. 

Life, faith and maturity have a way of teaching you which cravings to give into, when and how.  There's even a way to make it fun.

See, I have rules.  I need rules.  I live by them.  I don't even really know how to break them... anymore.  I'm sure there was a time that I did.  My rules are simple to follow though.  Do onto others as you would want done unto you.

One of the things that drive me the craziest in this planet, is people who think "it" can't happen to them, or that the rules somehow don't apply to them.  What makes me apprehensive about this group, is that it often starts with something small like a white lie or omission of the truth.  Harmless, right?  No, not if you are on the receiving end.

I'm not passing judgment either.  At one time or another, I've been on either side of that spectrum.  I'm only saying that maturity and fairness have a way of helping us put ourselves in someone else's shoes.  The rules apply to us all.  There will never be a way to escape that.  We can find creative ways to delay the truth, but Justice is ever so persistent.

I've found a way to give into my cravings.  I always ask myself a basic question-  
"Could the outcome either hurt others, or hurt myself?"

Today, I craved DECADENCE.  I wanted something satisfying but hard to get.  I wanted to treat myself to something delicious.

So I had that conversation with myself.  "After all of the hard work that I've been doing, do I really want or need to be setting myself back?"  

Friends, this is an important question to pose to yourself from time to time- if you're willing to give yourself an honest answer.

I've learned that we all have feelings.  They are ours.  It's okay.  However, just because we have these feelings, doesn't mean that we have to act on them.  And even if it's okay to act on them, not always do we need to act on them now.

Time and discipline have a way of acting in our favor, often guiding us with clarity.  Easier said than done. Been there.  Done that.

To that point, I remind myself that everything I am presently doing to raise my 12 year old daughter will also have an impact on the 16 year old, 23 year old, 35 year old, 57, 65 & 88 year old of her future self.

I look at myself in that very same way.  The decisions that I make for the 37 year old me, today should also be for the benefit of the 40, 42, 57, 65 and 88 year old me.  The should continue to also benefit my loved ones, and loved ones in the future.   I willingly and gratefully shoulder that responsibility to myself and those in my life.

That's why it's crucial to have people in our lives who don't necessarily tell us what we want to hear, but commit themselves to our best interests and guide us toward our best future self. Yesterday, and today were very hectic and aggravating days for me.  Interesting because I don't typically get aggravated easily.  I have a longer fuse than most.  Although, when that fuse blows, duck behind something.  Just, duck.

I've been working out intensely, and religiously. My nutrition is en pointe as always, but using my upcoming vacation as a motivator, I've reduced my caloric intake.  I don't have a long way to go really, it's just that I don't feel like doing it... so that's even more reason to be like Nike... and just DO IT.

When I really feel unmotivated, I call one of my best friends, Brett.  He knows the way my mind works all too well, and can always find an uncanny way to motivate me.  Sure, I hang up the phone cursing him out under my breath, but you know what, I know that he is right.  And, I know that his concern is not just for the 37 year old me now, but for the 40 year old that plans to be in a bikini off the Andalucian coast of Spain.  That's a friend.

My dear friend, and nutrition guru, Brett.
He's also great about finding recipes that will keep me motivated.  Brett knows that I eat berries daily, I absolutely love them.  Back when we used to work together he would often surprise me with blueberries when he came back from lunch.  Me?  Like a kid in a candy store!

Recently we were talking about how chocolate is my downfall.  Later that week he emails me a picture of raspberries stuffed with dark chocolate chips.  Both the berries and the dark chocolate are good sources of anti-oxidants, that keep you healthy, vibrant and feeling great.  You can have 10-20 of these in one sitting and it's so much better for you than a candy bar.

My dessert today.  Raspberries stuffed with DARK chocolate chips.

All day today, and yesterday, I thought about a delicious salad that I had at a restaurant in TriBeCa, NYC.  The restaurant is Flor De Sol.  Excellent in so many ways.  I highly recommend it.
The salad that I had is called Salpicon.  It's seafood, purple onion, olives, peppers in olive oil and vinegar.  I enjoyed it immensely, but since I've kept thinking about how I would make it my own.

For 2 days I have been craving that salad, and the succulent, decadent chunks of crab and scallops tingling my mouth with lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil.  Since I didn't want to go to the gym today, I decided that if I did go, and gave it my all, that I would make this salad for dinner.  That was all the intensity that I needed.  My workout ended up feeling so good that I didn't want to stop and actually went longer.

After stopping at the market and getting fresh Alaskan crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp and clams I went home and put it all together with multi-colored peppers, purple onion, black olives, pepper, a crushed garlic clove, a pinch of salt, fresh-squeezed lime, vinegar and olive oil. I'm sure you have already figured out just how much I love avocado.  You guessed it.  I'm having it as a side to the salad. Divine.



One thing though... remember that I wanted something hard to get?  Rather than buying the lump crab meat ready-made I bought the crab fresh, cooked it and shelled it myself.  Nothing beats authenticity.  Nothing.

 

Eating healthy is a beautiful thing, as long as you respect serving sizes.  I took the rest of the washed seafood, marinade, peppers, olive oil, lime juice, garlic and sealed that in a mason jar.  The acid from the vinegar and lime juice will cook the seafood inside the jar.  You can leave that in the fridge, untouched, for a couple of days.  It's A-MAZING!




It was simple, natural and the time that it took to prepare, gave me time to unwind and set my mind back at ease.  How nice it was to sit with a glass of wine, and have this  healthy and decadent meal that was not only delicious, but it was something that I really, truly wanted- and earned.



That's my point.  It's great to treat ourselves to things that we want.  It's just on a greater level when it's something good for us, that we worked hard for and earned.  When the moment comes, it is a truly delicious moment.

Muy buen provecho!



No comments:

Post a Comment