... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Monday, January 7, 2013

The Myth Dispelled.

The same woman, to the 4th power.

Please allow me to un-confuse...  That's not a word.  I'm exercising my artistic freedom...

To know me is to have someone loyal, and faithful, in your corner.  I play by the rules, I love hard, but not easily.  I'm guarded by nature, and it makes sense why.  I know that I have a lot to give.  To the wrong people, that could potentially consume me.  So I leave it up time, and my discretion.

Now, not many people get that far.  Why?  Labels.  I suppose that it's human nature to try and fit things, and people, into a mold.  Don't bother.  I'll frustrate the life out of you.  I won't fit.

...Come to think of it, neither do you. You are more complex than you may be giving yourself credit for.  And even for those of you who pride yourselves on being "simple", I believe that the mere fact that you think so, proves your depth.

This is why I will confuse you.

I'm a God-loving woman.  I spend hours during the week, reading and contemplating scripture.  I put a lot of effort into sincere prayer.  I relish my quiet time with God.  I'm comfortable saying the "J" word anytime, anywhere.  Jesus.  That's right.  I'm typically in church 3 days a week.

That being said, I grew up with a Jewish step dad, and best friends with a Muslim family.  It's ingrained in me to love and respect others regardless of their beliefs.  In college, I decided to take an academic approach to it all and studied Islam, Christianity and Judaic studies in tandem.  I loved it!

Now, here's another layer.  I love dance.  Any and all kinds.  Growing up where I did, Hip Hop, Reggae, Bachata, Merengue, Salsa, Soca... African & Middle Eastern dance.  That's where my heart is. Percussion.  I dance for fun, and I've choreographed in the past as well.  I come alive when I dance.  Few things bring me as much joy as dancing does.

I was a deejay at a radio station for almost 4 years, and most people didn't know who it was, even people that knew me.  It's always so interesting to me when some people can't assimilate the part of me they know, with the person who I am.  All of her.

Peel another layer...  I am secretly a nerd.  I am passionate about science. As a teen I was in love with Chemistry & Physics.  My biology teacher kept my lab assignments as examples for future classes.  My fascination with science is that in my own mind, it helps me understand my faith.  To me, science proves what I believe about the universe.  It comes second nature to me... like dance does.

Oh, there's more.  Please don't let the red lipstick and hoop earrings confuse you...

My career is something that I am deeply dedicated to an enjoy. I can look back and see an undulating flow of success and failures that have built me up to become a well-respected authority in my field, and among my peers.


My point is... my request is... please don't try and put me in a pre-fabricated box, don't label me.  Don't define me.  It won't fit.  Do you know why?

I define myself as I go along in my journey.  I respect others.  I do onto others as I would want done to me.  While I may seek counsel, I won't seek approval.

The woman in church spending time with the Lord, the doting mother, the girl getting down to reggae on the dance floor, the executive, the academic, the writer, the passionate dreamer- they are ALL me.

And I love her that way.







2 comments:

  1. And that querida, truly makes you sofrito. A mixture of lots of wonderful things which add a flavor to anything it touches. Sigue siendo tu! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's always an adventure... and like cooking, I'm learning to try new things, without worrying so much about making mistakes. This life, definitely an adventure ;)

    ReplyDelete