... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Saturday, September 3, 2011

Back To School: How Chili Helps With Homework...

Back to school for them, means back to school for us too.  If your kids are anything like mine, they stall and procrastinate to finish their schoolwork.  Both of my kids do really well in school but what I've noticed about them is that they do better when they feel that what they're learning is going to be... useful to them in life.  That's where I found that we have an opportunity to entice them about their studies...

Yesterday I shared with you that by the time we get home from work and school we just barely have enough time for homework, dinner and reading.  That's why in our house we make the most of our time in the kitchen. It's the perfect opportunity to find out what's going on in our lives, and share stories.
  
My little one waltzes in the kitchen and starts her usual 20 questions about whatever dishes we're cooking, how it's made and where it comes from.  I welcome it all because this is how they will learn.  They learn to not only make the dishes that we make, but they also learn to have kitchen confidence, and put their own spin on their dishes.

My daughter asks many questions that I take the opportunity to answer academically.

When she wants to know why I sprinkle lemon juice on apples before I'm ready to throw them into the pie, I explain the chemistry behind it.

Or when she wants to know why and how water boils, I explain how the molecules move faster as the water heats.

When she asks why adding cold water cools down something that is hot, I have the opportunity to introduce my favorite Physicist, Capernicus, and his Laws of Thermodynamics, and the Heat Transference Law, explaining that temperatures between two extremes will always stabilize each other as the heat moves toward cold.

When we cook we have to understand measurements, know decimals and fractions. 

Sometimes, they ask questions that I don't know the answer to but we have fun finding out together.  It's not rare that you see my laptop on the kitchen table for this reason.

Because of our schedules, in order to remain a close family, bonding in our kitchen is a reality.  It's funny, growing up the kitchen was also the place to be for me, but for different reasons.
 It was about emulating the two women who I most admired; my mom and my grandmother, and hearing their stories.  Those memories are what I treasure most with them, and I wouldn't be surprised if my kids feel the same one day when they think back to these times.  

My son is in college now, but when he's home, even if he wasn't planning on it, as soon as the food starts to smell good...I have visitors in the kitchen.  I thought that with my son being 18 that would change between us, but it really hasn't.  Now when he comes home, I get to spoil him with his favorite dishes.

He loves his Latin food too, but I find that he enjoys continental American dishes just as much.  One of his favorite is homemade chili. As a matter of fact, he can put chili on things I'd never even thought of. I like to make it for them in the slow cooker, because it has time to simmer.  I put it on in the morning, and then it's perfectly ready, fragrant and delicious for Sunday Night Football!


Eric's Favorite Chili

  1. You can use ground beef or turkey.  You can even mix the two.  I actually love to also mix in shredded streak cut into small pieces.
  2. Throw the meat into your slow cooker and add your seasonings.  How much you put in depends on how much meat you're using.  I love to add Cumin, Garlic (whole cloves), purple onion, celery, multi-colored small peppers, a can of whole peeled tomatoes.
  3. Add one can of Goya Red Kidney Beans.
  4. Let that cook and simmer all day.  Do not be tempted to remove the lid, even when it smells delicious.  That would slow the cooking process.  You should let that cook about 4 hours at least.  You'll be able to tell by the color.
  5. Open lid, remove excess fat from the meat with a laddle.  
  6. Lastly, add coriander & cilantro leaves, one tablespoon of Sofrito, Adobo, Sazon and pepper. Allow that to cook for at least 2 more hours.
  7. You can add "heat" by preference.  Some people love chili spicy-hot.  My son and I do, but my daughter doesn't, so he and I both add red pepper flakes once served.  So good! Everyone is happy.
You can eat Chili as a main entree, as a side dish or even as condiment.  My son loves it on hot dogs.  

Both of my kids love to make omelets the following day, filled with Chili & topped with shredded cheese.  They swear by that as one of their absolute favorite and hearty breakfasts. 

A great dish that's a versatile American tradition, with a Latin flair! 



Muy buen provecho!




1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this, I remember as a kid sitting on the kitchen table doing my homework as my mom or dad cooked. I love the way that you describe your relationship with your children and how you learn as much from them as they do from you.

    ReplyDelete