... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Wednesday, September 14, 2011

She looks sweet, but she'll bite you back!


We've all been warned at some point in our youth not to judge a book by it's cover.  Some learn this lesson from their grandmothers, some in literature and if you're like my daughter, you learn it from the Disney Channel via some teen sensation sitcom show...

Like with most lessons that I've learned in my life, the same applies in my kitchen.  One of my favorite things to do as a cook is to yield a magnificent presentation with my dishes.  The fun part for me is to watch my guests taste the food.  I especially enjoy when they think they know what to expect and then, suddenly taking their taste buds on vacation someplace exotic. 

When cooking, versatile ingredients allow me to challenge their flavors with my own desires of what the final outcome of my dish will be.  It is not uncommon that without previously planning my dish, I look at one ingredient, and it will inspire not only the main entree, but also the entire meal.

Come to think of it, this is how I dress in the morning.  Sometimes when going through my jewelry I see a pair of earrings that I haven't worn in some time.  Then, I grab a blouse that complements those, and a pair of slacks with a flattering cut.  These slacks are wide at the bottom, so I choose  a pair of pointed slingback shoes that just peak out under the seam of the pants.  A couple of bangles and a handbag, all in some way complementing the pair of earrings that inspired the outfit.  Now I feel dynamite, and ready for a magnificent day. 

This is often how I cook.  I allow one ingredient to inspire me and take me to far away places; the Caribbean, India, Italy, China's Hunan Province,  Morocco...  Sometimes a mere ingredient can thread a theme through each course of a meal. 

I go into the kitchen inspired to make an enticing meal for guests.  My eyes fall on a bright yellow lemon, and I start to think... 

A mere lemon brings me to...

Warm salad with a citrus vinegarette, roasted garlic-lemon infused pork loin with a side of garlic-lemon Mojito for Tostones, and lastly lemon-glazed cake served with green tea with honey and lemon.      

Last Saturday when I had guests over for a glorious seafood feast, inspired around our Paella, I wanted an appetizer for welcoming my guests.  I was looking for something very light, but that would entice their appetites as well.  I looked over at the Mojitos I had made and thought to myself, "What goes well with that mint-citrus flavor, and that I already have in my fridge?"  

She wasn't in my fridge, she was actually out by the fruit bowl.  A pretty little cantaloupe, perfect and ripe waiting to be included with the symphony that was to be this magnificent meal.  It was so easy!

Slice the cantaloupe in half, and scoop out the seeds
 Slice each half into servings
Sprinkle generously with a fresh-squeezed lemon 
Sprinkle the cantaloupe slices all over with salt
 Sprinkle across with Tajin fruit seasoning     

I came across Tajin at the produce section of my local supermarket.  Never having used it before, it made it's way into my cart with one simple word, "Chile".  It's labeled as a fruit seasoning.  The concept seemed foreign to me...  Fruit?  Chile-lime seasoning?  It's made in Mexico so I asked my friend about it and she said it's very common over there, on almost any fruit.  How had I not heard of this before?

Actually, years ago while having dinner at my friend Sharoon's house, her father made a delicious Pakistani meal.  I remember him serving cantaloupe with salt and I loved it.  I tried Tajin, and have been hooked on it since. 

My guests expected the sweetness of fresh fruit but what they got instead was a sweet and tangy surprise that tickled their lips with just a hint of spiciness. It went so well accompanied by the Mint Mojitos and as a precursor to the layered flavors that were awaiting them in the Paella! 

Next time you're about to make dinner, I encourage you to look around and let one ingredient inspire your outcome from start to finish.  You'll be pleasantly surprised, and glad that you did!  And if you happen to have some Tajin around, allow yourself to be bold & playful!

Muy buen provecho!






2 comments:

  1. :) Kathy, I just saw this. Thank you! More than a year later, and I'm going to take my own advise when I get home. I'm exhausted after a long day but I want to make something healthy, simple yet playful... Hmmm. Tajin it is!

    ReplyDelete