... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Monday, September 12, 2011

The Paella Series, Part II: The Making of The Mint Mojito


Paella is a dish that is usually made not only for friends, but with them.  I hope that you enjoyed our shopping trip to the Asian Market, during Part I of our Paella Series.   

Now that we're home, the shoes get kicked off.  Who am I kidding? I told you once that I'm a neat-freak- my shoes were carefully placed in the shoe rack, of my closet.  The hair clip and the apron comes on and we wash our hands...  

Can you reach over there for me and pass me that CD right there?  Yes, that one, thanks.  El Gran Combo.  There's nothing like classic Salsa while we're cooking this dish together.  Expect to dance with me in the kitchen and give me the occasional spin.  

I'm gonna start the prep work, so if you hear the door, please get it for me?  Our friends are gonna start trickling in one by one.  

Yes, you heard me right, prep work.  I know that I always have prep work done ahead of time, but Paella is one of those dishes where I need to satisfy my tactile sense as I work through it.  I need to feel the ingredients in my hands as I carve through the dish.  It adds to that sense of feeling that you are creating art. 

As we cook and welcome our friends, we're going to make fresh Mojitos to drink.  This is my own recipe because how it's made varies on the individual's preference.   A mint Mojito is one of those drinks that instantly transport you to the Tropics!

Salsa, palm trees and ocean with a playful breeze flowing.  You feel that?  We're on vacation, at home...


Mint Mojitos  

Bottle of Bacardi or Vodka (the Citrus varieties are great for this drink)
3 Limes 
Granulated Sugar  
Fresh Mint Leaves  
Ice
Sprite (7Up or any citrus soft drink will work) 

 
  1. In a clear pitcher, fill 1/3 with your Bacardi or Vodka 
  2. Add ice about 1/2 way through the pitcher 
  3. In a Pilon (mortar & pestle), work through juice from 2 fresh squeezed limes, 1/2 cup of sugar and a 
  4. Now it's time to introduce that syrup to your liquor.  Voila!  They like each other! 
  5. Fill the remainder or the pitcher with Sprite.  Diet Sprite works perfectly fine as well.   
  6. Lastly, garnish with a slice of fresh lime.  
The traditional drink is made with sugar cane syrup, which is replaced by our sugar and soda.  You can make it that way as well if you prefer.    In Upstate, NY, good luck to me trying to find sugar cane...   

 
Friends, now we toast and begin making our delicious Paella.  Are you ready?  I'm excited!  I'm proposing a toast to you and I, Reader.  This journey, and our friendship, is beginning to feel second-nature to me.

 Salud!





















No comments:

Post a Comment