... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Sunday, September 4, 2011

Editor's Pick: Breakfast Woof Friends


It's time to let the cat out of the bag!  <Woof, Woof!>
Uhh, sorry, I meant the dog...  <Woof, Woof!>
I mean, uhh, my Editor...  (who doesn't know he's a dog).
Readers, it's time you meet the man in my life, my dog Lucky...

In reality, it's my daughter who is my editor.  I think faster than I type and she catches the typos for me.  

Lucky was reading my emails and Facebook posts for ideas.  He liked my friend Cellie's questions about breakfast, so he decided that tonight, I should take that on.  

Cellie and I have been friends since sophomore year in college and although I've not seen her since graduation, we chat on line all the time.  Today she asked which meal do I prefer cooking.  Initially I answered dinner, because I love to entertain.  Afterward, I thought about it some more and remembered times that I've entertained really fun meals for breakfast and lunch as well.

A great example of just that happened this morning!  Today however, I was not the cook.  My best friend Lisette, had my daughter and I for a delicious Mexican-style breakfast  with fresh tortillas, eggs scrambled with tasty meats and veggies, fresh re-fried beans, and a delicious homemade salsa.

I enjoyed that tremendously! Some things that we share in common are, moms who are amazing cooks and a very traditional up-bringing.  That's probably why we both show love with food.  And after breakfast, I felt very loved.

Cellie later brainstormed about breakfast ideas, and it made me think of one of my favorite breakfast meals to entertain with.  I got the recipe off Pampered Chef, years ago and later gave it my own spin.  Let me share that with you...  

Crescent Omelet

  1. Get at least 2 rolls of Pillsbury Crescent dough.  You'll need more depending on the amount of guests you're having, and how much you plan to make.  
  2. Without breaking the triangles apart, unroll the dough lightly forming a large rectangle.  Open the second package and lay out that rectangle right beneath the first.  
  3. After both have been layed out on the cookie sheet, use your fingertips to ease the dough together lightly.  When you're done, the seams should all have fused together and it should look like pizza dough in the shape of a Sicilian pizza.
  4.   Sprinkle a light layer of your favorite shredded cheese on the dough.  Set aside in the fridge for a few minutes while you work on the remainder of the dish.
  5. In your food processor, throw in your favorite veggies such as onions, mushrooms, peppers, and pulse.  
  6. Add 1 Dozen eggs to the veggies.  Do not add water.  The veggies will give off their own moisture and flavor.
  7. Fold in your favorite breakfast meats and shredded cheese.  Mix lightly with a spoon.
  8. Add in your favorite spices.  You can use whatever you and your family like such as salt, pepper, paprika, Adobo, Sazon, Onion Powder.  Although, I recommend that you go light on the seasonings so as to not over power your eggs.  Breakfast is usually a meal where you don't want it to resonate after.
  9. Add in your favorite herbs.
  10. Heat a skillet to medium flame. Lightly cover with olive oil, butter or non-stick spray.  Your preference.
  11. Add in your mixture and proceed to scramble your eggs as you would normally.  Let the eggs cook nice and firmly, but do not overcook.
  12. Time to take out your Crescent dough.  Place the scramble on top of your dough.  Place the eggs neatly down the middle, leaving 2 inches free toward the top and bottom.
  13. Sprinkle cheese on top of the eggs.
  14. Now, fold the sides of the dough over as if covering a baby with a blanket.  Hold the ends together so they stick.  You should now have a "bundle" of eggs.
  15. Ensure that the seams are sticking together.
  16. One last sprinkle of cheese on top of your bundle.  Go lightly here too as the cheese will cook a lot faster than your dough.  You don't want the top of your pastry to appear burnt. 
  17. Allow that to cook in the oven at 350 degrees, until the dough turns a nice golden color.  Remember, the eggs are already cooked. 
I would serve this accompanied by cut fresh fruit & whipped cream.

For beverages I would serve Mimosas.  My favorite Mimosas are really simple to make. Pure Tangerine Juice (Tropicana) mixed 50/50 with Champagne.

A great kid's Mimosa is tangerine orange juice with sprite, garnished with strawberries and a slice of orange.  

Lucky says, "Muy Buen Provecho!"

4 comments:

  1. I'm so going to try this one.. I read it to hubby and he says "I guess that's what we are having for breakfast this weekend." Que compromiso

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find Tropicana Pure Tangerine Juice? I used to buy their Orange/Tangerine juice in Hannaford but now have to go to Price Chopper to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CardNonna,

    I usually find it at the Walmart Supercenter, or PriceChopper. It's delicious, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria,

    It's a great breakfast for hubbies! I love it for entertaining also, because itfeeds plenty and is really elegant. The hubbies love the delicious cheese omelet tucked in the flaky pastry. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete