... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Fall Series, Part II: Sunday Night Football... this one's for the fellas.

Ladies, come on, don't get upset.  Generally speaking, Sunday Night Football is a sacred night for the fellas.  It is for some of us ladies too, including me.  I love football!

Like most sports fans, I enjoy sharing the experience of watching a good game, but I don't necessarily want to talk during.  It's a good time to chill, relax and let loose.  I especially love spending time like this with the type of friends and companions who need minimal entertaining.

Has this ever happened to you?  You are spending time with a friend or loved one, you're both in the same room but individually occupied, maybe each reading a different book or so.  A couple of hours come to pass and you suddenly realize that you had a great time with that person, just sharing in the same space.  This is also works great for sports!

We'll have our time coming up soon where we'll show them how to pamper us in the Fall.   Tonight, we'll learn a quick and easy way to make this Sunday night special for the guys.  It will look a lot harder than it actually was, so feel free to cash in on a back-rub after the game.

Sofrito's Caribeño Sandwiches

On Saturday, I bought a $20 pork loin in the market.  You can see it's huge.  I cut it in half for two portions/servings.  This is so cost effective!  One half made 8 large sandwiches.  Wait until you see how the sandwiches come out.  

There's no way you can get 16 large pernil or pulled pork sandwiches for $20, or even double that.  This is what I mean about buying in bulk, doing prep work ahead of time, and vacuum-sealing your marinated meats.  Over time, this saves you so much money, and time.  My vacuum sealer easily paid for itself over time.  Easily.


Friends, this took me less than 10 minutes.  I washed the meat in vinegar and water then placed in my slow cooker.  I juiced one whole lemon and added onto the meat. 
I added a spoonful of Sofrito and a spoonful of mashed garlic.  On Sundays I buy freshly peeled garlic and puree it, then store for the week.  
Then, I added in a few fresh bay leaves.  You can add in your favorite types of herbs.

 
 Lastly, I chopped some red onion and dropped it in with 3/4 cup of white wine.


 It's Saturday night, turn your slow cooker on LOW and go to sleep, will ya!  Tomorrow is the big game.  Wait until your honey wakes up on Sunday morning!  The aroma will be so enticing that he will want to skip past bacon & eggs and get right to dinner.  ...Little does he know what you have planned for him!


Before you go to bed, don't forget to freshly seal and store the remaining half of the meat in the freezer for another meal.  All your prep is done.  
 So two weeks from now when your in-laws call and say they want to come over tonight, easy-breezy.  Take this lovely package out of the freezer, thaw and you'll be ready to knock their taste buds out with this deeply infused marinade.  You'll thank yourself later for the work you did today...

SUNDAY NIGHT!  GAME NIGHT!

On Sunday morning you can turn down the slow cooker to WARM or turn it off altogether.  Keep it covered.  Once you're ready to make dinner, lightly drizzle your pan with olive oil.  While that gets warm, take a fork to your meat and break it up.  The meat will fall apart because it's so tender and juicy.  Transfer the meat onto the pan.
Technically, you don't have to do this step because the meat is cooked.  I like to because it gives the meat a sizzled texture.

This is where I lightly add Sazon and Adobo to taste... let it sizzle for a few more minutes then turn off the pan. 

 Here, I added some Sofrito to olive oil, and coated my eight Kaiser rolls.  I let those toast in the oven for just a few minutes, while I chopped up some Avocado, Tomatoes and Lettuce for my sandwiches.  I added one slice of cheese, and assembled.  I especially love the way the avocado and tomato taste with the meat, inside the sandwich.  Your mouth just won't know what to do with all that flavor, and all that freshness.

You can serve with Tostones, Sweet Plaintains or Fried Yams with some garlic Mojito on the side, and an ice-cold beer. 


Go ahead, give the fellas some love, and let them watch the game...  One of America's favorite past times, with a Caribbean twist. 

Meanwhile, you can think of ways for him to spoil you too. Stay tuned...

Muy Buen Provecho!  
 





No comments:

Post a Comment