... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Monday, September 26, 2011

Fall Series, Part IV: What Does A Woman Want?

Ladies, so we spoiled the guys with some delicious pernil sandwiches for Sunday Night Football, we baked a delicious apple pie for dessert, and we still have a bunch of apples left over from our apple-picking trip.  Now it's your turn.  I'm going to give the fellas some ideas of how to spoil you...

I've heard men ask the question that they believe has no answer, "What does a woman want?"
And when I've tried to answer my male friends, I seem to confuse them even more.  I'm very "old-school" and traditional, yet still independent and set in my ways.

I can't speak for all women, because like the fingers of your hand, we're all different.  I can only speak for myself, and my observations of the sisters in my life.

A woman wants to feel yours, but free enough to be herself.
A woman wants to be treasured, but wants to cherish you as well.  It's your actions that show her she's loved, (but tell her while you show her every once in a while too).
And love her in such a way that when she's away from you, she can close her eyes and all five of her senses will bring her back to a memory of you.

Too many of you think that we want material things.  I want the simple things actually.  It's the way we laugh in the supermarket aisle about the silliest and most random things, while shopping for groceries.  It's the way you look when you're fixing something of mine that broke... or the way you remember things about me that even I forgot.  Or how on Sunday mornings, I have no reason to get up if you're by my side.

We want some of the same things that you do.  We don't want someone to give us happiness, we want you to share in our happiness and we want to do the same with yours.    

We want a communion with another human being that knows us, understands us, accepts us, but also brings out the best in us and gives us the courage to keep improving as life presents challenges. 

I'm adamant that what gets me about a man is not how he looks.  When in love, and we close our eyes, don't we remember that person's mannerisms, their facial expressions and their own unique ways of expressing themselves more than anything else?   

Think about it, if love was driven by physical appearance, we'd only need a picture of our beloved to be happy.  We miss the way the person feels when we embrace them, their laugh, the silly way they pick up a fork 25 times before actually taking a bite, during dinner...  Have you ever missed a person, and missed their imperfections?  When you met them, you noticed that flaw, but now when you miss them, you miss exactly that?  

Make love matter.  Show the ones you love how you feel, even with the slightest gestures.  Make it happen.  Life is so short.  This is why I I choose to show love in the kitchen, with every bite I say that I love and appreciate you without the fear of overcooking something or too much salt... Sometimes I won't get it perfect, but I will keep trying.    My kitchen remains a reflection of my heart...



For a special night...
Apple Slices dipped in Amaretto-Caramel Fondue

In a fondue ceramic dish, or microwavable bowl, melt half of a pack of store-bought caramels. I love the Werther's Caramels.  If you do this in the microwave, you have to watch it closely.  There is no exact time as it varies with microwave.  Once it starts to bubble a bit, take it out.  Mix with a spoon.
Add in one shot of Amaretto di Amore 
 Add in a shot of whipping cream
Mix well together and heat for another few seconds.
 If you have a fondue set, place the melted caramel in there...

The caramel fondue will go beautifully with sliced apples, as a glaze for cake or as a dip...


Along with the Apple Cider Martinis, it makes a great dish for spoiling her....



Hot Apple Cider Martinis  

 In the supermarket, check the aisle where they usually keep hot chocolate or tea.  You will find hot apple cider packets.  They're usually sold in packets of 10-12 servings.  You make it the same way that you make tea, boil hot water then add.  Mix well.
In a heat-resistant pitcher, mix about 2-3 servings of the Hot Apple Cider, mixed with 1 cup of Vodka, one freshly juiced lemon and a cinnamon stick.  Mix well, pour and serve hot.  Mouth-watering.

Warm Cinnamon-Spiced Apple Sauce
This is not your typical supermarket apple sauce.  It has a rich, warm and thick texture that lingers and smells delicious.

Peel and core about 10-12 apples
 Boil until apples are soft, then mash apples.
Add in 1 table spoon of Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract, 2 Tablespoons of butter, a pinch of nutmeg, salt, ginger, 1 cup of sugar or Splenda.  Mix well, cool for  a minute or two then feed a warm, delicious spoonful to someone you love.




No comments:

Post a Comment