... Because everything I learned about living a good life, I learned in my kitchen.

I won't always show you recipes, because I don't measure. You can't really measure life, so how can I teach you that?

On our journey I will share stories of self-reflection as we cook and reminisce. The kitchen remains to be my "hall of epiphanies" . Stay with me as we explore the depths of our cooking pots, and of our soul...



Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sometimes what's left sets the path for what's coming...or whom...

It amazes me how my personal beliefs fuse into my cooking style.  I love to be challenged, and I don't like to waste. When I think back at my college days, when I truly began cooking, I can't believe how much I used to spend on food shopping  to make the simple two-dimensional dishes that I started with back then. 

Sometimes the problem was having too many ingredients to choose from.  Having too many choices, getting comfortable with the same dishes, causes us to become complacent in the kitchen.  I smile as I type this because once again, isn't the kitchen just a metaphor for life altogether? 

After all of the shopping I did for the Paella this weekend, I had some key ingredients left over.  The next day, I met my son for lunch by his college and we planned on dinner together.  

As a mother, I can tell you that it brings immense joy to cook for your 18 year old son.  For a brief moment as he eats, and smiles without realizing it, fork in hand, it's your baby all over again.  

I challenged myself to make Eric a dinner he would love with a minimalist approach, and using the ingredients that I had left.  

Shrimp marinated in Sofrito and Lime 
Edemame
Potatoes
Fresh Mint Leaves
Fresh Pineapple and Banana

 Sometimes knowing your audience determines your technique.  My son and I love watching movies while we snack. This is where it gets fun!  Since I made the seafood in creole sauces this weekend, I decided to fry it for some texture and crunch.

Since I had the fresh shrimp marinating in Sofrito and Lime juice, I took out all of the ingredients that I would need...
The Sofrito-Lime Marinade goes deep into the shrimp.  This is especially perfect for frying because normally the breading can easily overpower shrimp.  With this marinade, you have a deep fresh garlic and herbal flavor in every bite.
 
 I made an egg wash with 1/4 cup of heavy cream and 2 eggs.  The heavy cream and egg wash help bind the breadcrumbs nicely, and don't fall apart when frying.


Then I mixed 50/50 Panko bread crumbs with course corn meal.  I love the color and texture that corn meal provides, and I find that it stands up to frying nicely.




 For the sides, I'm going to quickly slice some potatoes in the food processor with the 'slicer' blade and then throw in the deep fryer, and finish with some seal salt.  Fish & Chips, Caribbean-style, when served with a side of garlic-mojito dressing!

While I do that, I'm going to steam some Edemame in the microwave with about a cup of water that I'll drain after 10 minutes.



 Once the Edemame is ready, we sprinkle these with some sea-salt.



Now, we're ready to fry the shrimp, since our side dishes are ready.  This will only take a couple of minutes until golden.  Remember, seafood cooks much quicker than most meats. If overcooked, it can entirely ruin a dish.  Seafood should be watched closely so that you can achieve the perfect color and texture.
 After the shrimp is done, I set it on a plate lined with paper towels in order to absorb the excess oil.  I sprinkle with salt and pepper and then move on to serving dish, where I garnish with fresh-grated Parmesan cheese.



Now what to do with the left over mint leaves?  I decide to boil some water.  Easy, right?  
Then, I juice one whole fresh lemon.  I add the lemon juice and some honey to my tea.  
The pitcher that I've chosen is meant for tea and is heat-resistant.  
I add the mint leaves, some Splenda or sugar- your preference entirely.  
Lastly I add some black tea and hot water.  I let that steep together nicely.  
The result is a mellow, flavorful yet invigorating tea that will infuse your kitchen with a floral aroma that's unbelievable!  You can drink this hot or iced.  Either way, it's heavenly.


Tropical Fantasy Fondue

Sounds Fancy?  Maybe.  You should know that for as long as I've had them, I've been finding creative ways to entice my kids into eating fruits and vegetables as part of balanced daily servings.  My daughter never wanted to try pineapple until I made it with fondue.  I make very little chocolate.  I probably only have about 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips in here.  This fondue dish cost me about $7 in Marshall's HomeGoods.    

I melted the chocolate chips in the fondue dish for 2 minutes in the microwave, then I placed it on top of the tea-light dish, after mixing it with a spoon.  The chocolate becomes a rich, thick, creamy consistency that will compliment your cold chunks of tangy fresh fruit so beautifully.  

 I felt great that night.  I made my kids the crunchy comfort foods that they were craving while also ensuring that they had great nutrition.  The shrimp and Edemame were great sources of protein and fresh fruit & herbal tea for Anti-Oxidants, Potassium & Vitamin C.   

We ate, we talked and we laughed so much.  I loved watching the two of them, seven years apart, yet sharing  their own special moments.  

In the end, this is what cooking is all about for me.  I met my challenge of making a meal with odd ingredients on hand but delivering comfort foods that they love and are good for them.  Another great night, that started with a very simple notion, and a whole lot of heart.


Muy buen provecho!










No comments:

Post a Comment